Thursday, February 2, 2012

I wish my daughter’s daycare teacher would smile every once in a while...

Let me preface this by saying I really like my daughter’s daycare. Its got a great reputation, it meets or exceeds all the New York State standards for daycare facilities, and Emmy seems to trust her teachers and enjoy the company of her classmates.
But would it kill her head teacher to smile every once in a while? Every morning I bring Em to the classroom, her teacher greets me with an expression that can only be described as slightly to acutely overwhelmed (slightly overwhelmed on Tuesdays, acutely overwhelmed on Thursdays.)
 I know it is really hard work to take care of eight toddlers, with one assistant teacher backing you up. I know its been a really tough winter, with the children under her care (my daughter included) passing around endless coughs and colds, and her own children being sick for weeks on end.  Still, I don’t think it is too much to ask her to greet parents and (more importantly) children with a slightly more upbeat attitude at the beginning of each day. The assistant teachers smile… why can’t she?
I don’t know if I should actually do anything to address this situation. Is it worth telling the daycare supervisor/manager that my daughter’s teacher seems depressed? Is it actually important, or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I suppose, if the head teacher’s less-than-sunny disposition bothers me that much, I could look into the possibility of Emmy switching to a different toddler room, but that would mean Emmy would have to learn to trust and play with a whole new group of people. I’d like to avoid that if possible.
Maybe I should wait until spring, when there are less viruses circulating. Maybe Em’s teacher will be a happier woman when she is not being coughed on quite so much, or wiping so many noses. Maybe I should ask Em’s teacher if there is anything wrong, or if I can do anything to help?
Or maybe I should just get over it.

4 comments:

  1. Smile at her and see if it gets an in kind response. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a smile to her doesn't get a positive response, try asking her if Em is a problem because she (the teacher) doesn't seem happy to see the two of you. Chances are she will ask you why you think that and you can respond appropriately (By the way, I'm listening to "Free to Be You and Me" right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely smile at the teacher (hoping to encourage her to do the same). I think she is just generally grumpy or exhausted - she does share information with me regarding the sources of her aggrivation sometimes (which do not seem to be Emmy, though I know she can be a handful)! I just wish she could find a way to leave her blues at the door so the kids could get a smile when they come to class...

    ReplyDelete